Thursday, March 26, 2009

I Used to Love the Nights

I discovered the following lines of verse in a book on Preachers and their Families that I came across in a bookstore. I 'captured' it with my iPhone and share it with you here. It was written by a man name Rob Morgan, and carried no title.

I used to love the nights, dear Lord,
The fading of the evening lights,
The quiet routine;
The bedtime prayers;
A tale or two; then nodding heads,
three weary kids in cozy beds;
The silent hours of healing rest,
I loved the evenings best.

I hate the evenings now, dear Lord,
A speeding car out in the night,
Dives and dens and worthless ends,
Flashing lights, unworthy friends,
An empty heart, a search for love,
When all he needs is found above.

I'm going to trust You through this night,
I'm going to walk by faith, not sight.
You slumber not, nor do you sleep,
Your watchful eye can always keep,
My children in your care.
To Him who tucks me into bed;
Please station angels around his head,
And guard my child where're he be,
And bring him back, dear Lord, to Thee.

No comments: