Saturday, March 28, 2009

I'll Know When It's Right...

As I sit here in my office on this Saturday Evening, I can hear the choir practicing in the sanctuary right outside my window. They are doing fantastic... there is just one or two little things that bother me.

Now, I am under no illusions about my singing abilities. I know I stink when it comes to vocal talent but... that doesn't mean I don't appreciate somebody who does it right, or can't tell when they do it wrong.

I wonder sometimes about how we appear to the world. From their perspective, they may think... I don't know how to do it, but I sure know that that's not the way!

Reminds me of a story I heard about a man who wrote a powerful tract entitled "Come to Jesus". It was widely used by churches and the man was touted as a great writer. One day, he was a little steamed up at the editor of a magazine who took issue with some of his theological stances and proceeded to write and mail this man a scathing epistle.

With no small amount of pride in his response, he showed it to one of his colleagues and eagerly awaited his response. When he finished, he really didn't know what to say. There was no doubt that the editor had been verbally 'sliced and diced'. The author looked at his friend and said, "I know it's good, but I haven't assigned a title to it yet. What do you think?"

His friend sadly smiled and said, "I think the appropriate title should be 'Go to the Devil by the Author of Come to Jesus'"

I hope fervently that my life is not such an oxymoronic representation of Christ. Our communities may not know The Way, but they are capable of recognizing it when it's done right... and when it's done wrong!

No comments: